Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ouch

Yesterday I noticed Carrie hanging out under the china cabinet-not her normal favorite place-so I was a little curious, but didn't get involved right away. The girls and I went trolling the street for after school playmates and found none at home so we came home. When we got there I saw the a little fuzzy mouse-like thing running around the dining room with the cats on either side of it. So, I went to rescue it just like I did the mice that have come in the house via the cats of course.

This little guy was very fiesty and bit me when I picked him up. So of course I yelped and dropped it on the floor. The cats started going wild but didn't close in right away, maybe they knew how hard it bites?. I grabbed some napkins and grabbed it again and managed to get it to the kitchen door before I dropped it again, this time into the cat kibble. I took the bowl outside and set it free and told it to run away. (I didn't really run at first so I kept encouraging it to run away and avoid the house in the future. I thought about picking it back up and putting it farther away, but it tried to bite me again so I left it alone) The cats were waiting at the door with tails twitching to go outside. As soon as I came inside Carrie shot out, so I removed her from the yard, and shooed the critter away, I think it's a vole.




I called my Doctor, who told me to call Poison Control. They reassured me that there isn't much of a risk of rabies, but tetanus was a concern. After spend a few minutes on the phone with the Records office in Groton, we decided that at best I'd had a second tetanus shot in high school, and would need a shot anyway.

So...this morning Sydney and I went down to the doctors office where I got my shoot. My left arm is a little sore, but it isn't too bad, and my finger seems to be just fine. I'm going to take some good advice and keep some lightweight cotton gloves in the kitchen so I can be safe next time. I really hope there isn't a next time, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

While we were in the waiting room and same a special in the news about how adults are not as careful about staying up to date on their shots and recommended boosters of tetanus, flu, and Hep A & B. I was amused at the timing! Hope everyone is caught up with their shots!!

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Hi Heather! Remember us, we were in the old FHE group in Revere with you. We found your blog through Mike and Jessica's. It is so great to catch up by reading your blog. It sounds like you are all doing really well, mouse bite excluded.
--Will and Cassie