Monday, August 18, 2008

Superhero capes sewing project




I finally finished the superhero capes!! I started these about a month and a half ago. Yikes, but oh well, they are finally finished. I wanted to chose fabric that would go with their existing princess dresses, yellow & pink for Emily & blue and purple for Sydney, but at the store Emily insisted on getting red for Snow White. She does not actually have a Snow White costume, but I guess that didn't factor into her decision.

I needed to assemble the capes so both sides were wearable, and not scratchy using so velcro was out, and ribbons seemed like a bad idea. I found a link on another blog that I borrowed the general shape and crown idea ftom, but once I downloaded their template, I had to tweak it in illustrator just to make it a little crisper. Yup, I have accepted the OCD in me!

I printed out the crown, cut it out on double sided fusible web, added that to the cape, satin stitched it down, then assembled the cape, pressed, and topstiched them. Next I made a buttonhole and sewed on two button on the cape so you can use either side. I thought of that little adaption all by myself! I am so proud of that! It lets the cape get past the picky police. But I should have made Emily's button hole a little bigger, since she is still not great at doing buttons and hers is a little snug. I made the buttonhole before I bought the buttons. (A classic faux pas) I thought I had some round white ones laying around, but never found them so got some colored hearts that worked, but are a little tricker to get through the hole.

After I finished Emily's cape, she immediately mentioned that she wanted jewels on hers. Well, that would have been nice to know before I sewed both sides together. So she is campaigning for a trip to Michael's to buy some jewels to glue on her crown. Maybe if they get their room clean....

No comments: