Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sleepwalking

So apparently I have a incorrectly programmed baby. While I have no desire to exchange or return my little guy, I'd like a manual to reprogram him. Something about 3-5am is really exciting for him and he likes to wake up and be up at that time. He alternates between being really fussy and just being up. Two nights ago, he was great and slept through the night. I thought to myself Yeah probelm is solved! Silly me! Yesterday on cue at 3am he was up. I tried nursing him back to sleep. No dice. I changed his diaper & tried again. Still no deal. Then Sydney woke up and was coughing. I woke up Karl to deal with her, and though when he got back, maybe he would take him for a little while. It isn't really fair to ask that since I can nap during the day, so that didn't fly far either.

So I thought why not take him for a walk in the baby bjorn. He likes that, and I am sick of pacing the living room. If I have to be up, why not get some exercise in while I'm at it. So we walked up and down the street and headed out into the rest of the neighborhood, singing all the way. Abby and Carrie (my two cats) came with me. Occasionally they stopped and waited for me to turn around, but I had company. Finally he fell asleep. I came back inside, and saw his little eyes open up. Arrgh. So I went off the try & nurse him to sleep in the rocker. No deal. I tried the swing, I fell asleep Josh didn't. I tired lying down with him in bed, nope. Then the cats brought in a mouse & it woke up Karl. We saved the mouse. Karl had Josh, I got the mouse. Finally it was 4 minutes before Karl's alarm went off, so he took Josh and brought him back 20 minutes later after letting him cry himself to sleep in his arms.

The girls have headed off to school, and my little guy is sleeping in his swing. (He loves the thing during the day, it is just nights that it isn't all that popular) My plan is to take a nap!

So how do I get him to stay awake more during the day so he will sleep at night, or at least wake up, eat, and go back to sleep like he will do cheerfully during the daytime?

2 comments:

Marie said...

It has been a while since I have dealt with this but my only thought is to make it as boring as possible and keep the light off. When he wakes up feed him, check his diaper, put in some earplugs and sit in the rocker or lie down on the couch until he goes to sleep. Night is for sleeping and any sort of entertainment rewards his wakefulness. If he was older I would say feed him, change him, put him in his bed and walk away. But since he is still so little you can hold him. Just because you can nap during the day doesn't mean you don't need sleep at night!

ConnecticutUre's said...

I agree with what marie said, make it boring, no talking to him, just nurse, change the bum and put him in bed. Maybe a mobile would work too? Just keep up the good work Mom!!!